A little over one-month out from the Boston Marathon bombing that claimed the lives of three people and injured over 260 others, the President laid out a sketchy claim during his national security speech that “no large-scale attacks” against America have occurred since 9/11.
As the Daily Mail points out, the President also conveniently forgot about the successful Benghazi terror attacks (which were on American soil), and the Fort Hood massacre.
In a long-awaited speech at the National Defense University, Barack Obama claimed that the nature of international terror attacks threatening the United States has changed since Sept. 11, 2001, with ‘no large-scale attacks’ on America occurring since then.
But his definition of ‘large-scale attacks,’ his speech made clear, doesn’t include the 2013 Boston Marathon attack that wounded hundreds, the 2012 Benghazi terror attack that injured dozens and killed four, and the 2009 attack at Fort Hood that killed 13 and injured 30.
All those attacks had the potential to leave far more American bodies in their wake than they actually did.
In fact, Heritage has calculated 54 such attempted Islamic terror attacks since 9/11.
Via the Washington Times:
Terrorism analysts are rebutting President Obama’s assertion that the “scale of the threat” from Islamic terrorists has reverted to pre-Sept. 11, 2001, levels.
“This is a total fabrication,” said Steven Emerson, whose Investigative Project on Terrorism tracks radical Islam. “The ‘scale of this threat’ in the 1990s never closely resembled the terrorist attacks post 9/11. This is an outright lie.”
The Heritage Foundation has been cataloguing foiled terror attacks post-9/11 by Islamic groups. The number: 54.
James Carafano, a military analyst at Heritage, said the 1990s’ numbers “were a fraction of that.”
This shouldn’t surprise, however. When you’ve spent an entire political career pretending something doesn’t exist – like radical Islamic terrorism – it’s difficult to admit the very basic proof laid out before you.