The Trump administration put Iran on notice after they tested a ballistic missile last week. Earlier this week, Iran backed down by pulling a missile off the launch pad rather than running another test.
National Security Adviser Michael Flynn said that the Iranian test launch “undermine(s) security, prosperity and stability throughout and beyond the Middle East that puts American lives at risk.”
“We are officially putting Iran on notice,” he announced.
Iran has been formally PUT ON NOTICE for firing a ballistic missile.Should have been thankful for the terrible deal the U.S. made with them!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 2, 2017
In the meantime, Iran had another ballistic missile set up for a test launch. However, the Trump administration’s threat and the fact that they clearly mean business when it comes to Iran, may have been enough to make them change course.
Via Fox News:
The Pentagon is concerned because Safir missiles use the same components as those needed for an intercontinental ballistic missile. Iran’s ballistic program has “expanded dramatically” in the past 10 years, a senior U.S. defense official told Fox News.
New satellite imagery from Feb. 3, obtained exclusively by Fox News from ImageSat International and verified by U.S. officials, showed Iran preparing a Safir for launch. That missile is the type Iran has previously used to put a satellite into space.
In a surprising about face, Fox News learned Tuesday morning that Iran’s missile had been removed from the launchpad. It was not immediately clear why.
Either Iran had technical issues with their missile or President Trump put the fear of God in them! https://t.co/Gcgpqy6sNM
— Patriot Swag (@Sheepdog4USA) February 7, 2017
Patrick Megahan, an expert on Iran’s missile programs at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, told the Business Insider that the missile could have been removed for technical reasons, but could also have been a result of Tehran growing “skittish” after the Trump administration put them on notice.
“Why they removed it from the launch pad this time could be for a number of reasons, including they noticed a technical deficiency before launch, were experimenting with a new launch pad or procedure, or got skittish following the US response to last week’s missile test,” Megahan said.
President Trump imposed new sanctions on Iran after last week’s test launch.
Still, after being put on notice, Iran mocked the President saying “This is not the first time that an inexperienced person has threatened Iran,” and vowing to continue testing.
Now they may have bowed down to the will of the United States after all.
Iran cowards say that, but they sure took that new missile off the launching pad awful fast. Supreme leader scared
— RealMikeBlight (@michaeldark72) February 7, 2017
Read more at the Political Insider