If You’re Surprised by Obama’s Kill Memo, Then You’ll Be Surprised He’s Already Used It – On a 16-Year-Old American
Ever heard of the name Abdulrahman Anwar al-Awlaki? Sure it’s a mouthful, but you can bet your a** that had he been killed during the George Bush years, he’d be a household name.
Al-Awlaki is a 16-year-old American from Denver, who was killed in a White House ordered drone strike. His lone suspected ties to terrorism were the fact that his father had given terrorist-inspiring sermons, and he certainly was not given due process. His father, no doubt, did some terrible things. Things that I have railed on consistently. He was, in my mind, an active terrorist – but this was never proven in a court of law.
The younger Al-Awlaki never saw a day in court either.
Yesterday, we discussed a Justice Department memo that makes a legal case for killing Americans using drone strikes, without any justifiable cause. The memo had been available since June, and is just now getting media coverage.
So if that memo is a surprise, it’s a sure thing that nobody has heard the story of Al-Awlaki.
But the most controversial drone strike took place on Oct. 14, 2011, when 16-year-old Abdulrahman was killed by U.S. forces.
Family of the Denver-born teenager say he had no ties to terrorist organizations and was unjustly targeted because of his father.
Nassar al-Awlaki, grandfather of Abdulrahman and father to Anwar, said he tried to protect his grandson as Anwar al-Awlaki’s profile grew.
In December, Nassar al-Awlaki told CNN, “In Anwar it was expected because he was under targeted killing, but how in the world they will go and kill Abdulrahman. Small boy, U.S. citizen from Denver, Colorado.”
Impeachment papers would have been drawn up the following day for Bush. Obama gets a pass for killing American citizens.